A new bridge and a Winona Time Capsule: 2016
Posted August 28, 2016on:
The new Mississippi River bridge connecting Winona, Minnesota to Wisconsin (NORTH) was dedicated yesterday (August 26). It was a wonderful and fun event attended by many including the usual mix of local and state dignitaries. I especially enjoyed seeing what will be in a Winona time capsule that will be placed inside the new bridge. A few of the items people may be able to view in the future include
- Artifacts representing the Winona’s higher education institutions: Winona State University, St. Mary’s University of Minnesota and Minnesota State College-Southeast Technical
- Products from local manufacturers such as St. Croix knits sweater, a Winona State University pennant from Wincraft, and a Peerless Chain link
- Hot Companies, Cool Jobs, a Chamber of Commerce publication
- A high school yearbook and a working laptop with the School District’s Winhawk mascot as a screen saver (Will the computer still be functional when the time capsule is opened many years into the century?)
- A Jim Heinlen print of Winona’s architectural highlights
- Commemorative magnets t-shirts and caps
- A Great River Shakespeare festival poster depicting the Mississippi River and bluffs; it is also by autographed by company members
- Tributes to notable Winona State theater professor Vivian Fusillo
- Copies of current local newspapers (Winona Daily News and the Winona Post) including special publications about the old and new interstate bridges
- . . . and an autograph book to preserve the names of people who attended the dedication
- . . . and much more
It’s a great and appropriate collection representing Winona 2016!
What would you include in a time capsule representing you community?