Posts Tagged ‘Inquiry’
Posted June 22, 2015on:
- Japanese American Internment
- Political Cartoons and The American Debate
- Women’s Suffrage
The new ebooks and the 9 previously published ebooks support commonly taught curriculum topics; they will be helpful for teachers supporting learning with primary sources in a 1:1classroom or for whole group inquiry and engaged learning. Library of Congress Teachers Page sets complement the primary source sets on the same topics.
- Read about one teacher’s experience using the Cosmos ebook and how to download and install them a the March/April Internet@Schools article The New Media Center: Making Learning Interactive .
- Primary Source sets that complement and support the Ebooks.
- June 15 Library of Congress Blog Post announcement
- Descriptions of all Ebook sets
- Earlier blog posts: Students Discovery Sets ~ Making Learning Interactive Part I
Would you like to see student projects kicked up a notch and move students more towards inquiry based learning? Looking for ideas to share with other educators. The Library of Congress Teachers Page Build and Deliver professional development section has two activities for inquiry training session.
Understanding the inquiry process
Participants will work in groups to define the inquiry process. The facilitator will lead a discussion on the Stripling Model of Inquiry. After reading an article, participants will reflect on incorporating inquiry into their instructional setting. After reading an article, participants will reflect on incorporating inquiry into their instructional setting (45 minutes)
Primary sources and inquiry
After participating in a model inquiry activity using a primary source, participants independently practice documenting their own inquiry learning while using primary sources. The group will discuss ways to create inquiry activities with primary sources. (2 hours)
These PDF materials are ready for you to use in a professional development setting. Simply go to http://www.loc.gov/teachers/professionaldevelopment/tpsdirect/pdplanbuilder/ to select an activity. Download the files, become familiar with the resources, and plan your professional development session. Everything you need to lead a staff development session is right there, and free!